28 April 2013

Dove Making - Staff



First thoughts were to check out some staffs and standards. 



 

I did this from this design. 





Looking at texture for the staff. I quite liked this but wasn't sure it looked like the texture I was going for but back to this in a bit.

 




This is a bendable shower tube papier mâché'd with newspaper and a bit of chicken wire. This really did not work. It was too bendy and wasn't very nice aesthetically.

I gave up with this idea and tried carving a staff. This was too heavy and would take a while to try out so I looked into something else. Oh and one more thing about this it wouldn't have the right curves in it.


These were some quick designs I did on my phone, Moleskine App (really useful). 

1. I wanted the staff to have curves in it. I thought about a straight staff but after looking at 'medieval' staffs I have decided that the overall design of this project is a natural look but with a slight mixture of the style from the film Where the Wild Things Are, love this film. Just amazingly natural and beautiful style. The story upsets me a bit though. Anyway staff 1 is actually just lines so we can just ignore that.
2. Next, that would have looked pretty awesome but I was trying out a brush on the App. It did go with my idea to put branches coming off the staff like on an actual tree.
3. Number three, this one I was thinking about going for a shepherds staff. Was just a thought really, not really going to work. Yes I could have gone down the whole biblical route because it would make sense, but way to obvious and or could be seen as way to deep. I mean there is a unicorn in this show, not exactly what  was said in the story.
4. I don't even know what that is.
5. Really like this, I want this effect but not as much. This with a birch tree effect.
6. Yes lets draw a dodgy looking 'T' but seriously it was a perch for the bird to stand on.


Examples of this are in my sketchbook. I was trying to create texture for the bark. This went alright. I also covered it in white acrylic gesso. It just sort of didn't quite have the right effect. 

1. Not quite curvy enough and doesn't look like a tree branch.
2. This one is a has gone a bit over the top with tree like effects. 
3. I really like this one but is a bit too skinny at the bottom.

Final Design

Just enough treeness and the right amount of curves.

So this is experiment of using the a heat gun to create bends in a plastic plumbing tube. Inside of it is a rolled up newspaper and kept it together. This didn't work, but the chopping up of the tubing helped me realise this would work...


...this is chopped up plumbing pipe then arranged to create curves and then plastered in virofoam to stick together.


Then was covered in modroc plaster. This created a bark like effect and made it knobbly like a tree branch. I am really happy with this technique.


White birch sample. 

First painted it brown. 


Added tissue paper.




Painted it silver.




And lastly added brown lines to create the effect.


Creating the top bar.
First I shaped the wire into a curve, then used a small piece of pipe, cut it in half and shaped the middle bit with it, stuck it together with a bit of virofoam. 

I then kept adding heated up strips of virofoam wrapped it around and made it look like that below.


Finished article. 

Was thinking of adding small branches, until I realised risk assessment wouldn't like an object that could gouge someone's eye out.

Evaluation:
It is okay. I now understand if I draw different options of the objects I design i.e. here but being told since about the age of 7 'Have you tried this technique', 'Is that the best drawing you can do'. All with a concerned face. I much prefer this 'design'. With the texture and more striking curves. I need to find a way to 'draw',  Is it a design, even though I used an App brush? It is my design if it was more or less an accident. Anyway turning a bit fine arty there. Yeah the stick is okay, it looks like a white birch tree branch but no I didn't think it out very well and in a way is boring. I will put a picture of final staff, just need one.



No comments: