15 December 2012

Louise MacIntosh-Watson

For twenty years I have been fascinated by colour; the interaction between colours; how a hue is reliant upon those around it for its validity; the emotion of colour and getting the colour balance right.
In my current work, I have combined this passion for colour with my experimental use of the batik wax resist technique. When shading with a pencil, I scribble - I create rapid, fluid movements and I believe these translate beautifully using wax. Layering colours using inks, dyes and wax has provided me with some very exciting opportunities for contemporary portraits. As well as using batik, I have also created portraits using acrylics on canvas. It is this series of work that I fondly refer to as “my girls”.
Born in Liverpool in the 1970s, I more recently moved to Derby where I have been teaching Art in high schools for 15 years. This has given me the opportunity to research and develop my own style whilst simultaneously introducing young people to the fascinating art of Batik.



source

Louise is one of the most interesting batik artists I have found. Most batik artists I have found just like to draw pretty pictures, like Jenn Adamson, of things and patterns. Louise has a lot more contemporary style, with the colours she uses and scribbley style.

Illustration

Looking back at this artist it reminds me of the mark making I have done. Also this artist uses a scribbley style in her work.

No comments: