7 May 2013

Dionne Swift


Dionne Swift - Textile Artist

I studied Embroidery at Goldsmiths College, followed by a Masters at the University of Central England. I aim to translate my vision of the world into cloth by printing, dying and stitching at my Yorkshire based studio.
Supported by a collection of teaching qualifications, I have lectured at Higher Education level for over 20 years and continue to offer a selection of creative workshops both in the UK and abroad.




In the open-ness and tranquillity of the landscape, I find calm and inspiration. The open aspect is fresh and up lifting. The immense scale of the moors and valleys in Yorkshire constantly overwhelm me with their magnificence. I am intrigued by the intimacy of the sky and land with their ever-changing roles of solidity and translucency.

I use devoré processes on velvet to explore the changing structural qualities in the landscape.

I dye and hand paint the cloth, I over paint and employ dye reduction techniques to develop visual layers and the notion of depth
I aim to allow the processes selected to add to the development of the work. The techniques used are as important as the imagery depicted.
The devoré process was developed on C17th France as a means of creating a poor man’s lace. Devoré – to devour – to eat away/to burn out. The fabric I use is a combination of silk and viscose, the devoré process removes the viscose pile.


This artist is awesome. 


I have found a video of her demonstrating the technique.

No comments: