24 November 2012

Armadillo Prototype

I found this cutout and altered it to make it into a 3D model.




I decided plastic bottles would be the best material as it is cheap and easy to get hold of. 




Making sure I saved time and plastic with placing them like this.


I added 4cm to each side of the strips.


They bent in the wrong place so I had to find a way of making them lay the right way and decided wire.


They came out as this shape.



I stuck tape to the bottom of of each one to keep it in shape but realised later that I didn't need to do that.


I added wire in strips across each piece to make it pliable and the right shape.


I used a hole punch and used string to tie them together. I then cut out the head and drew around it to make it the right shape. I am really happy with it and for the final one adding strips of fabric would work best.


The prototype has worked as I wanted to but I was going to have a more complex 'rolling up device' with it rolling up by pulling a string connected to each end and pulling it together but making this I have realised I don't need anything like this. Just by attaching string to the middle of the creature and pulling it up. Next I need to work out a way of making it move. I don't know whether it should be pulled along or pushed along. I think it will be pushed along on wheels, that are small and hidden on the legs and then the handle will be stiff like one of these. 



I will just need to add wheels and I think make the pieces lay better.

No comments: