23 May 2012

Taking apart the Jacket

I could have just made a jacket from a pattern but I have done this in the past and costume designers use this technique to save time and money. If they 'find' a jacket they will alter it to fit the actor, this also is useful if they find a jacket with the perfect fabric and can't buy that fabric.
For this I took off the arms front, back and sides off and measured Ashley and applied the measurement for when cutting. I needed to cut a bit off the arms and out of the back. I then pinned the jacket inside out and sewed it. I then put some darts in it. For the sleeves I made patterns to copy the shape of the jacket already and then cut out the excess fabric and used the patterns to make the line the same as before and attached the arms.
I had taken out the lining for the jacket while taking it apart and I decided not to put it back in because it wouldn't be seen by the audience.  

No comments: