23 April 2012

Manchester Trip

This is what I wrote in my reflective practise about the trip.
Imperial War Museum:
Imperial War Museum was first and in there were things about the World Wars and a more recent wars.  In the main exhibition area, every hour, is 'The Big Picture Show'. This was very interesting it showed people telling their stories telling about there experience of living at the same time of war.
Also I went to see the exhibition 'Once Upon a Wartime'. This was about 5 different stories War Horse, Carrie's War, The Machine Gunners, The Silver Sword and Little Soldier. I really liked this, because it had different props from each story and gave a brief outline of the story and why the author wrote it.

In the gift shop was a film about how, the West End theatre production, War Horse was made.Jon bought the DVD and I'm going to watch it over the weekend.


Manchester Art Gallery:

The next place we went was Manchester Art Gallery, here was an arts, crafts and design section. I really liked Mary Greg collection. She had collected different things, including an old toy theatre and a dolls house. This related to my manifesto project. I also went to see Roger Ballen's Photography exhibition. It was a bit gruesome and didn't get to see all  of it because we didn't have enough time.


The Whitworth Gallery:

I really liked the corseted dresses, they were all hand stitched. In another room there was a project from a local college, they had designed fabric and created costumes/clothes with it.


Manchester Gallery of Costume:

This had fashion from the 17th century right to the present day but each decade didn't have many costumes and I thought it would be bigger with more information. The gift shop was most interesting and quite cheap too.

Pictures from Manchester:







































No comments: