13 November 2011

Horst

Horst's Art Statement

iPiccy: Loading picture

Wool is complicated. It can be manipulated, made into fabric, and then perhaps sewn, made into something useful. But the way in which it could be constructed was fascinating to me.

Felting was like opening a door in my mind. I could create a sheet of fabric out of wool. This fabric, the essence of clothing, drew me to make something that could be worn. Bit I didn't want to break up the planes of fabric with seams and stitches. I wanted to maintain the textural image, the flow of color. I wanted my pieces to be seamless.

I knew the problems. Wool shrinks considerably when felted. Wool is hot and heavy.

I labored. I tried to understand the material.

So I made it shrink to fit. I made it thin to wear. I made it wearable. I enjoy the complexity. It compels me to move forward. This challenge. Starting with something no longer than the fingers of my hand, and changing it, mastering it, to make a figure, a form that functions, which is one of a kind. Then to see it, transforming the body of its wearer into art in itself. That is the drive.

Biography
Horst was born February 23, 1971 in Akron, Ohio, and currently resides in the Akron area.

Art had always been part of Horst's life. He was constantly exploring various mediums, progressing in its various realms. In high school Horst experimented with photography, painting and sculpture, building a stunning portfolio - portfolio that earned him many awards from various shows, including Scholastic and granted him a full ride scholarship to Maryland Institute College of Art.

However, an unexpected turn of events set Horst onto his fateful path. Finding that he was now a father to a baby daughter, Horst transferred to another college in 1990 to be with her. Criticized for his painting subject matter and method, Horst settled into become an art teacher, gaining his B.A. in art education in 1996, while also gaining a minor in studio art, art history, and secondary education. A few years later, he began to teach in Cleveland Municipals Schools, where he has been teaching since.

Along the way of gaining his M.A. at Kent State University in 2003, Horst found a new medium to experiment with, one that he found a for; felt making, a process of condensing layers of wool into a sheet of fabric. It was an old textiles, and one that he found to have almost endless possibilities. Felting became the key to his expression, designing garments that became increasingly more elaborate in design with each created piece. He pushed the boundaries of felting, revolutionizing the methods he had been taught. The result was garments that drape around the body, which breathe and feel light as air, colors that are breathtaking and flow with the natural movements of the body.

His achievements have given him world recognition. His designs have graced catwalks and galleries, and have been published many times over. His success has now established him as a professor at Virginia Marti College of Art and Design, a position he feels honoured to have achieved.


iPiccy: Loading picture
Orchid

iPiccy: Loading picture
Lagoon

iPiccy: Loading picture
Majestic 

iPiccy: Loading picture
Avocado

iPiccy: Loading picture
Chocolate
iPiccy: Loading picture
Expressions

iPiccy: Loading picture
Sea Breeze
iPiccy: Loading picture
Frost

iPiccy: Loading picture
Frost
iPiccy: Loading picture
Tribal
iPiccy: Loading picture
Violet

My Notes



I absolutely love this artist's work, he makes it look so easy to make things out of felt. I really would love to  try and make a garment out of felt. Horst's work is a lot different to what I have seen before because I haven't seen dresses made using this technique. I normally see felt panels with landscapes or garish patterns on them. Which is okay, we all do it when we start something new but I like how Horst has thought of something different to do. My favourite dresses are 'Avocado' and the white 'Frost' one.

No comments: